Dogs are man's favorite pets. Like any other country, the Philippines also loves dogs, and there are several dog breeds in the Philippines, which are worth mentioning. While some of these are imported, they have a significant role to play among families.
The famous dog breeds in Philippines are :
1) German Shepherd
|Weight||Male: 30–40 kg (66–88 lbs)
Female: 22–33 kg (49–73 lbs)
|Height||Male: 60–65 cm (24–26 inches)
Female: 55–60 cm (22–24 inches)
|Life Expectancy||9–13 years|
|Color||Tan with black saddle, sable, solid black or bi-color|
This breed of dogs is medium to large-sized, who is longer than tall. German Shepherds belong to the herding dogs who have a domed forehead, large ears, black nose, a long square-cut muzzle, and strong jaws. They possess multi-talented behavior.
- The German Shepherd is very devoted and protective of its human family.
- They are intelligent and excels in all roles; be it guide and assistance work for the disabled, herding, search and rescue, or drug detection
- They might dominate other dogs, but they are generally friendly with other house pets.
|Weight||1.8–2.7 kg (4–6 lbs)|
|Height||15–25 cm (6–10 inches)|
|Life Expectancy||12 - 15 years|
|Coat||Short-haired, smooth, and long-coat|
|Color||Any color except merle|
The Chihuahua is a small dog with a huge personality who is balanced and graceful. They have erect ears and luminous eyes. They are fully capable of competing in dog competitions such as agility and obedience and are among the top ten watchdogs.
- They are delicate and vulnerable to injuries and attacks from larger animals due to their small size.
- These tiny dogs require training, and without it, they would try to rule the house without paying heed to the owner.
- Chihuahua makes an excellent watchdog; if he's not taught to moderate his barking, he can be quite irritating.
3) Shih Tzu
|Weight||Male: 20–28 cm (7.9–11.0 inches)
Female: 4–8.10 kg (8.8–17.9 lbs)
|Height||Male: 24 - 25 inches (61 - 64 cms)
Female: 20 - 24 inches (50 - 61cms)
|Life Expectancy||10–15 years|
|Coat||Soft, long, double coat|
|Color||Gold, Dark/Light Brown, White, Black, White, Grey, Liver/White|
Shih Tzu is a short, sturdy dog and has a flat-shaped face, which makes them susceptible to heatstroke. Training and proper socialization for this breed must start at a young age to obey basic commands, as they are quite stubborn when it comes to training.
- Shih Tzu is overly affectionate with children.
- These dogs are active and lively, who love to follow people from one room to another.
- These are adorable little goofballs who make great pets for apartments.
|Weight||Male: 15–32 kg
Female: 16–24 kg
|Height||Male: 58–61 cm (23–24 inches)
Female: 56–58 cm (22–23 inches)
|Life Expectancy||10 –13 years|
|Color||Liver & White, Black & White|
The Dalmatians are large-sized dogs who have delightful, eye-catching spots on their body. They have one of the most distinctive coats. The Dalmatian has extensive capacity for exercise.
- Dalmatians are smart dogs with a sly sense of humor.
- Dalmatians love to be around their people for fun activities and can make excellent companion dogs.
- They have a very dignified and outgoing personality.
5) Golden Retriever
|Weight||Male: 29–34 kg (65–75 lbs)
Female: 25–29 kg (55–65 lbs)
|Height||Male: 22–24 inches (56–61 cm)
Female: 20-22 inches (51-56 cm)
|Life Expectancy||Average 10-12 years|
|Coat||Straight or moderately wavy|
|Color||Any gold or cream shades|
Popularly known as a disability assistance dog, the Golden Retriever is a medium-large, active and calm gun dog that was bred to retrieve shot waterfowl, such as ducks during hunting and shooting parties. They need a lot of exercise and are incredibly responsive to obedience training.
- Golden Retrievers make great pets for families due to their patience with children.
- They are intelligent, which makes them highly capable as "working dogs."
- They are wholly devoted to their human family and can do anything to safeguard them.
|Weight||14 to 18 pounds|
|Life Expectancy||12 to 15 years|
|Color||Silver or apricot-fawn with a black face mask, or all black|
The pug has physically distinguishing features. They have a large round head, big eyes, wrinkled brow, and curled tail. Pugs with a sedentary life can become obese, which can be avoided through proper exercise and a healthy diet.
- Pugs are happy and affectionate dogs.
- This is an even-tempered breed that exhibits stability, playfulness, and great charm.
- They display dignity, outgoing, and loving disposition.
Having listed the most famous dogs in the Philippines, we can surely notice that these all dog breeds have one thing in common and that is if they are provided proper training they are excellent pets and well mannered too.