Bangladesh is a country in Southern Asia that has a vast array of wildlife along with some endangered species. The dog breeds in Bangladesh are not very much simplified, and with substantial evidence, the only race that has its origin in the country is Sarail Hound. There are other breeds also which are quite famous among people in Bangladesh
This article aims to study the famous breed of dogs in Bangladesh. These dog breeds are quite loved among people in the country.
Sarail hound- The Native Breed
|Weight||Male: 23–33 kgs
Female: 18–28 kgs
|Height||Male: 25–28 inches
Female: 23–26 inches
|Life Expectancy||They live for an average of 8-14 Years.|
|Coat||These dogs possess a Short and thin coat.|
|Color||Mostly bi-color. These typically are of brown & white, brindle, or black & white.|
The most popular dog breed in Bangladesh is Sarail Hound. It is a distinctive and unique breed of dogs with a narrow head, pointed nose, and sturdy legs. Its appearance closely resembles the GreyHound. This is mainly found in Sarail Upazila of Brahmanbaria district in Bangladesh. This breed has a compact body that is tough, lightly built, and fine-boned.
- They have a charming, mild nature, which is another reason for them to be loved by all apart from their grace and speed.
- It is a gentle and intelligent breed that is highly trainable.
- They are alert, bold &, at times, ferocious to the extent that they could chase big animals.
Lesser Known Facts
- Sarail Hounds were created by combining the bloodlines of athletic, powerful dogs that had strong jaws. They also inherited a broad and robust skull, which gives them powerful stature.
- Sarail hounds were initially reared as hunting dogs to chase foxes, hare, and deer.
- This breed is so powerful that it can bring down a large bull, while they also hunt for vermin, deer, and jackals.
- They are best known for their speed, which makes them “Ferraris of the World,” and there are not many breeds that can keep up with the speed and strength of this dog breed.
- There are very few Sarail hounds left. They are on the verge of extinction.
|Weight||1.4 to 3.2 kgs|
|Height||7 to 12 inches|
|Life Expectancy||12 to 16 years|
|Color||Orange, Red, and many more.|
This is a compact little dog who thinks that he can do anything. These can be trained quickly and make up good watchdogs. They have a very larger than life attitude and might lock horns with other pets in order to prove themselves significant.
- They are inquisitive and tend to look into each corner of the house.
- These have a bold personality, and their attitude goes beyond the size.
- They are lively and active dogs who love to play with kids and get intensely attached to one person.
Indian Pariah Dog
|Weight||Male: 15–35 kgs
Female: 15–25 kg
|Height||Male: 20–25 inches
Female: 18–23 inches
|Life Expectancy||10 to 13 years|
|Color||Light tan, Dark tan, Reddish-brown, White, Black, Piebald and Spotted.|
Indian Pariah dogs are also known as “Pye Dogs” or “InDog.” It is a medium-sized dog with a wedge-shaped head. These dogs serve multiple purposes, i.e., they can be an excellent guard dog along with a family pet.
- They are docile with the whole family along with the kids through early socialization.
- They develop a strong bond of loyalty towards their owner.
- They are quite friendly with other dogs as well.
|Weight||Male: 29–36 kgs
Female: 25–32 kgs
|Height||Male: 22 inches
Female: 21–22 inches
|Life Expectancy||12–14 years|
|Color||Black, chocolate, or yellow|
These are medium to large-sized dogs with a broad head and strong jaws, and dense bone substance. They love to work hard and need regular exercise and functional training measures.
- They are friendly companions and a useful working dog breed.
- They are patient with kids and tolerates their childish antics.
- Labradors, if left alone or not given access to proper exercise, can become destructive.
Bangladesh is not a very dog-friendly place, and it is quite challenging to keep pet dogs in the country, given the climatic conditions of the region. The dog breeds listed above are the most accessible choices for those who are adamant about keeping pet dogs as they can keep up with the geographical conditions of the region.